Samuel P. McCrea
McCrea, M. D., one of the enterprising business
men of Shelbyville, is a native of Shelby County, and the youngest
of a family of ten children born to John and Elizabeth McCrea.
His paternal ancestors came originally from Scotland, and settled
in New York, in which State John McCrea was born on the 26th
dav of July, 1787? being the youngest son of Samuel McCrea. John McCrea, on the 27th
day of November, 1828, was united in
marriage to Miss Elizabeth Templeton, who was born in Virginia
in the year 1807. The family came to Indiana in 1835, and settled
in Hendricks Township, Shelby County, locating at what has long
been known as McCrea's Mountain, where the father entered land and
developed a farm, being one of the early settlers of that section of
country. Mr. McCrea was by occupation a tanner, but after locating in the
county, engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he followed until his death in 1859.
Mrs. McCrea preceded her husband
to the grave, departing this life on the 23d day of November, 1852. Dr. McCrea was born February 2, 1845, and grew to manhood on the
farm with the routine duties of which he early became familiar. He
received his rudimentary education in the common schools and subsequently, in 1861, entered Franklin College, in which institution
he obtained a knowledge of the higher branches of learning. Having decided upon the medical profession for his life work, the doctor,
after a course of preliminary reading, entered in 1865, the Rush Medical College of Chicago, from which he graduated in 1868.
Having thus prepared himself for the duties of his calling, he
began the active practice of the same in Shelbyville, in
History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Shelbyville
Sketches," page 512, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887.
with the late Dr. W. T. Green, a firm which lasted until 1870.
the latter year, the doctor abandoned the practice and engaged in
the drug business, which he has since successfully continued, being
at this time in partnership with C. Bishop. Dr. McCrea, in addition to his profession and business relations, has taken an active
interest in the welfare of the city, and at one time served as a
member of the Common Council. He was made a Mason in 1868,
and stands high in the order having taken the orders of the Temple,
and at this time is the Eminent Commander of Baldwin Commandery,
No. 2. Politically, he is a Republican, but not a partisan in the
sense of seeking official position. The doctor was married November 21, 1878, to
Miss Phebe A. Robertson [right], of this city, a
union blessed with the birth of one child, viz., Florence J. McCrea.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
The picture of Phebe Robertson McCrea is from Boetcker's Picturesque
The above named firm is, at this time, the oldest firm in the city. Samuel
McCrea, the senior member of the firm, was born in the year 1845, in
Hendricks township, Shelby county, Indiana. He remained at home, farming a
portion of the time until about twenty years of age, when he went to college two years, and then commenced preparing himself for the medical
profession, graduating at the Rush Medical College, of Chicago, Illinois, in
February,1868. He then practiced medicine in partnership with Dr. W. F.
Green for about two years, and on the first day of January, 1870, formed a
partnership with Thomas Tull, purchased the drug store owned by Hendricks and
Morrison, and carried on business under the firm name of McCrea & Tull.
On the first day of September, 1871, Mr. McCrea purchased Mr. Tull's interest
in the store, and on the first day of November, 1871, formed a partnership
with Cyrenius Bishop.
The Shelby Democrat
February 13, 1879
VOL. 1; No. 37
from the article, SMILING
Cyrenius Bishop was born in the year 1825, in
Washington county, Virginia. He came to this State and located in this county
in 1835. He followed farming for a number of years. The Democratic party,
seeing in him a man of honest principles and strict integrity, prevailed on
him to accept the nomination for county Recorder. He did so, and was elected
by a flattering majority, and filled that position from 1867 to 1871 to the
entire satisfaction of his party and the citizens generally. Mr. B. stepped
down and out on the first day of November 1871, and on the same day purchased an
interest in the drug store of which he is now a partner. The business is
carried on under the firm name of McCrea & Bishop.
first started in business in the Phoenix block, where they lost their stock
by fire on the 6th of April 1875. About two weeks after this event, they
purchased the drug store situated on "Robins' corner," (their present
location) owned by Gordon & Talbott. They have added greatly
stock, until now they have a complete assortment of the best and purest of
drugs, patent medicines, paints, ails, perfumeries, toilet articles,
druggists' sundries, etc., etc., which they always sell at the lowest market
prices. Particular attention is paid to preparing prescriptions. Their stock
of cigars and tobacco is always kept up to the standard, and they keep the
best the market affords.
Next biography in the "Smiling
Shelbyville" newspaper article, Michelsen &
Contributed by Jeanne Surber