Michelsen & Maholm
The Shelby Democrat
This firm is composed of John
P. C.[?] Michelsen, Jr. and Thomas
A. H. Maholm.
February 13, 1879
VOL. 1; No. 37
from the article, SMILING
Mr. Michelsen was born in 1853 in New York City. His parents moved to
Cincinnati, where John learned the barber's trade under the direction of his
father. When fourteen years old he went to New York and was in the employ
of Duhme & Co., jewelry dealers, for five years. He came to
Shelbyville in November, 1872, and commenced work for Mike
Posz in the latter's
barber shop, on Harrison street, next door to John
Leefers' drug store. At the end of one year he bought the shop of Mr.
Posz. Soon after, his father came from Cincinnati, and in a short time
purchased the shop of his son, who then opened a shop immediately across the
street from his old location. He continued for himself until February 18,
1869, when a partnership was formed with Mr. Maholm.
Thomas A. H. Maholm was born in the city of Shelbyville, in the
year 1854. When eleven years old he worked two years for Jasper
Sprague in the stave
factory. He then learned the barber's trade under Mike Posz, in whose
employee he was for four years. In 1872 he went to Richmond, Indiana, and
in the early part of the year following returned to this city. He again
worked for Mr. Posz until the fall, when he went to the State of Michigan.
From there he went to Kenton, Ohio, and in December, 1873, opened a shop in that
place. In April, 1876, he went to Philadelphia, and in November of the
same year returned to this city. He purchased the shop owned by Richard
Thrall, and has been in the business ever since. On Feb. 18, 1879 the
partnership between Messrs. Michelsen and Maholm was formed, and the shops owned
by each consolidated. They pride themselves on their tonsorial skill, and
claim that they can "trim" a man's head up in better style than any
other artist in this city. They keep everything in the best of order,
their razors are of the sharpest and towels the cleanest in the city. If
you want a good, easy shave, a scientific hair cut or a clean shampoo, give the
boys a call. Remember the location, east side of Harrison street, three
doors north of the Public Square.
Next biography in the "Smiling
Shelbyville" newspaper article, Dr.
Rice's Dental Office.
Contributed by Jeanne Surber